There’s nothing like fresh watermelon on a hot summer day. If you’re willing to take a step beyond simply cutting and serving this tasty fruit, try pairing it with blueberries, and other ingredients for a surprisingly delicious combination!
Watermelon Feta Salad – Recipe and photo credit: Tania/Cooking for my Soul website
- 7-8 cups fresh seedless watermelon cut into ¾ inch cubes.
- 1 1/2 cups fresh blueberries.
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese (add more if you love feta).
- Fresh mint and basil leaves to taste, thinly sliced – to taste.
Honey Lime Dressing
- Juice of 1 ½ limes
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 to 2 tablespoons honey – to taste
- A pinch of salt
Combine ingredients in mason jar and shake vigorously or whisk until combined.
- In a large serving bowl, combine the cubed watermelon, blueberries, mint, basil, and
¾ cup of the crumbled feta.
- Toss with the honey lime dressing until evenly distributed.
- Top with the remaining ¼ cup feta and garnish with more mint and basil leaves (if desired).
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
Do you know how to select a sweet watermelon? Here are 5 tips from Tania:
- A watermelon should feel heavy. That means it’s juicy!
- The rind on the watermelon should be firm and dull, rather than shiny or too smooth.
- Look for a yellow “field spot,” where the melon rested on the ground while growing.
- Avoid watermelons with white or green field spots because they’re not ripe.
- Tap on the watermelon. If you hear a deep, hollow sound, it’s ripe!