The Dominican Sisters of Hawthorne opened a humble care center in St. Paul to provide free care for terminal cancer patients who were without means. Our Lady of Peace has since expanded its mission to include adult non-cancer patients regardless of their social, religious, or economic status.
Hospice in Our Home
Our Community Hospice program was formerly known as St. Mary’s Hospice, located in Highland Park and run by the Franciscan Health Community. It is a community-based hospice headquartered at the Our Lady of Peace Residential Hospice campus, serving the 7-county metro area. The staff provides care to patients wherever they call home—their private homes, nursing homes, group homes, etc.
Hospice in Your Home
Home Health Services
The Home Health program, formerly Franciscan Home Health Care, serves the 7-county metro area and provides in-home therapies, post-operative care, and assistance with daily living.
More About Home Health
Highland Block Nurse Program
The goal of the state-funded Highland Block Nurse Program, housed at the Our Lady of Peace campus, is to help older residents stay healthy and live safely in their homes in the Highland Park neighborhood of St. Paul.
More about HBNP
A Look into Our History
1941 — Our Lady of Good Counsel
On December 7th, 1941 the Dominican Sisters of Hawthorne, NY came to St. Paul, MN and started Our Lady of Good Counsel Home, a free end of life care facility to serve the “cancer poor.”
1941–2009 — Providing Care for Those in Need
From 1941 to 2009, Our Lady of Peace cared for more than 15,000 patients.
2001 — Community Hospice
The Community Hospice program was introduced, allowing patients to receive hospice care in their own homes, nursing homes, or group homes.
2004 — Home Health
Home Health services began, serving older adults in their homes.
2009 — Franciscan Health Community
The operation of the home was transitioned to the Franciscan Health Community.
2015 — Our Lady of Peace
Our facility licensure changed from Long Term Care to Residential Hospice. The corporation name changed under new licensure to Our Lady of Peace and is currently a non-profit Catholic organization.
2016 — Celebrating 75 Years
We have been serving our community with end-of-life care for 75 years, serving tens of thousands of patients from all walks of life.