We offer the following:

Free aids and services to people with disabilities to communicate effectively with us, such as:
—Qualified sign language interpreters
—Written information in other formats (large print, audio, accessible electronic formats, other formats)

Free language services to people whose primary language is not English, such as:
—Qualified interpreters
—Information written in other languages

If you need these services, please let our practice know.

If you believe that our practice has failed to provide these services or discriminated in another way on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, disability, or sex, you can file a grievance in writing with:

Deb Lane, Civil Rights Coordinator
2076 St. Anthony Avenue
St. Paul, MN 55104
(651) 789-1734
Fax: (651) 646-7884

You may also contact the Civil Rights Coordinator by phone (651) 789-1734, email, or you may file a grievance in person. If you need help filing a grievance, Deb Lane is available to help you.

You can also file a civil rights complaint with the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Office for Civil Rights, electronically through the Office for Civil Rights Complaint Portal or by mail or phone at:

U.S. Department of Health & Human Services
200 Independence Avenue SW
Room 509F, HHH Building
Washington, D.C. 20201
(800) 368-1019
(800) 537-7697 (TDD)